01 May 2012

Photo: strong-wind-warning sailing

The week-end was shaping to be wasted: heavy rain and a strong wind warning kept me off the water on Saturday but I was still optimistic for Sunday.
Being outside at least one day of the week is my priority and I really regret it if I miss it.
The Bureau of Meteorology issued a strong wind warning but the wind chart website promised lighter winds on the western side of the bay.
We decided to head out anyway and make a call at the launch site.
I was hoping for some exhilarating sea kayak sailing but it was incredibly calm and sunny when we set off: disappointing.






































I was dressed for a colder and wetter scenario and welcomed the breeze once half way across to my favorite destination island only a short distance paddle.
Eventually the wind did pick up to a healthy 15-20 knots but dropped off again a few hours later.





.


Sailing into storm_c



.

1 comment:

  1. What a contrast to down here - We had such as screeching southerly I didn't even head out on Sunday for a downwind blast (without a sail). It was just too darn windy to recover safely in the event of difficulty. The wind was so strong here you could lean into it and be supported!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Because of spam received from unwanted manufacturers/retailers all comments are now moderated. Allow a few days for your comment to appear when the operators of GnarlyDog News are on safari.